Mobile learning applications creator Modality and Wiley Publishing have introduced CliffsNotes literature study guide applications on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPod touch. They include Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare.
Five individual apps, the first in a series of more than forty, provide character, theme and plot summaries and analysis, interactive quiz features, and audio CramCasts covering the following works of literature:
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
- Macbeth by William Shakespeare
- Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
- The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
According to Wiley Publishing, Modality’s content architects created two distinct review modes to allow for a more customizable study experience. A prescriptive “Cram Plan,” created by the experts at CliffsNotes, orders the content of the app to maximize even small increments of study time.
A more traditional e-reader interface presents the app’s complete content in a fashion similar to that of the printed literature notes. Additional features that leverage the multi-touch user interface and other capabilities of iPhone and iPod touch include:
- Multiple-choice quiz to assess mastery of the material
- Text-highlighting to note important sections for further review
- Interactive map links character associations and profiles for quick reference
- Audio plot summaries play in the background while the user engages with other app features
CliffsNotes literature study guides are available for $0.99 per application from Apple’s App Store on iPhone and iPod touch or at http://www.itunes.com/appstore/.